Wednesday 1 June 2011

May 2011 Wrap-Up

Not many books on my list for May - that may have something to do with the fact that I spent ten of the last eleven days of the month on something I haven't even finished yet (more of that next month!).  However, there were still plenty of good books around :)

Total Books Read: 9
Year-to-date: 57

New: 9
Rereads: 0

From the Shelves: 3
From the Library: 5
On the Kindle: 1

Novels: 7
Novellas/Short Stories: 2

Non-English Language: 4 (1 Japanese, 1 German, 1 Turkish, 1 Dutch)
5) Unwiederbringlich by Theodor Fontane
6) Tomorrow Pamplona by Jan van Mersbergen
7) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8) Indelible Ink by Fiona McGregor
9) Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

Murakami Challenge: 0 (2/3)
Aussie Author Challenge: 3 (10/12)
Victorian Literature Challenge: 1 (12/15)

Tony's Recommendation for May is: Steven Carroll's The Time We Have Taken

Many worthy contenders this month: my continuing project to read more classic German literature paid off with my first (and far from last ) Fontane novel; Peirene Press have picked another gem with Jan van Mersbergen's macho road novel(la); and I loved the two American classics I finally got around to reading (thanks, as always, to the lovely people at Narre Warren library!).  However, both for the book itself, and the trilogy it caps off, Carroll's The Time We Have Taken was probably the easiest choice I've made this year.  I attempted to explain why in my review, but you really should take the time to find out for yourself - these books are wonderful :)

That was May - I'm sure June will be just as fun ;)