Friday 31 May 2013

May 2013 Wrap-Up

May has been an unexpectedly busy month - but I have nobody to blame for it but myself.  I decided to educate myself a little in the area of Spanish-langauge literature, ordering a wide selction of books from my wonderful library.  At the same time, I managed to get hold of several exciting review copies too...

In fact, you just peruse this post - I'll get back to my reading ;)

*****
Total Books Read: 9

Year-to-Date: 46

New: 9

Rereads: 0

From the Shelves: 0
Review Copies: 4
From the Library: 5
On the Kindle: 0

Novels: 6
Novellas: 0
Short Stories: 3

Non-English Language: 9 (4 Spanish, 2 Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Polish)
In Original Language: 0

Aussie Author Challenge: 0 (2/3)

*****
Books reviewed in May were:
1) Satantango by Laszlo Krasznahorkai
2) Raised from the Ground by José Saramago
3) A Heart So White by Javier Marías
4) Popular Hits of the Showa Era by Ryu Murakami
5) Blue Bamboo by Osamu Dazai
6) The Light and The Dark by Mikhail Shishkin
7) Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges
8) Mother Departs by Tadeusz Różewicz
9) The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño

Tony's Turkey for May is: Nothing

Not a turkey in sight - maybe next month ;)

Tony's Recommendation for May is:

Javier Marías' A Heart So White

This was an incredibly good month for reviews, and I actually struggled to choose my favourite book here.  Apologies to Krasznahorkai, Borges and Saramago (and even more apologies to Bolaño) - A Heart So White left a big impression on me, and it's Marías who just takes the honours for May :)

*****

After such a busy month, it'd be nice to think that June could be a bit more relaxing - no such luck.  There's still a pile of quality library books and a fair few review copies to get through.  And let's not forget the start of the seventh edition of Bellezza's Japanese Literature Challenge, one of my favourite blogging events.  I suppose I really should get back to the reading this time...